Healthy Connections is now sponsoring a Diabetes Empowerment Education Program (DEEP), an education curriculum designed to help people with pre-diabetes, diabetes, relatives, and caregivers gain a better understanding of diabetes self-care. Classes last a total of five weeks, proving participants with eight unique learning modules.
The first series of five classes begin on Thursday, January 24, at Healthy Connections in Mena (136 Health Park Lane). The class will run for five Thursdays and will be held from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. each week.
The goals of the DEEP curriculum include:
- Improving and maintaining the quality of life of persons with pre-diabetes and existing diabetes.
- Preventing complications and incapacities
- Improving eating habits and maintaining adequate nutrition
- Increasing physical activity
- Developing self-care skills
- Improving the relationship between patients and health care providers
- Utilizing available resources.
Register by calling Michelle Gibson at (479) 437-3449 Ext. 161 prior to Jan. 24.
Learn more about the program by visiting www.healthy-connections.org/deep.