A Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) diagnoses and treats common psychiatric problems, mental illnesses, and crisis situations. The PMHNP will also assess the mental health needs of individuals, families, and groups, formulate healthcare plans, implement treatment and evaluate the effectiveness of the patients’ short- and long-term progress.
- Offer outpatient care to address sudden changes in a patient’s mental status or chronic mental conditions
- Perform various patient assessments
- Develop holistic, cross-disciplinary treatment plans
- Prescribe medications in compliance with state scope of practice laws
- Collaborate with doctors and make appropriate patient referrals
- Analyze the effectiveness of treatments
- Education patients, families and others on challenges in mental health